23 April 2011

Starting a new project for the Thingamajigger

My son has termed the Westy the Thingamajigger, after the Cat in the hat series on PBS that he occasionally watches.  I guess its appropriate, they are unlike anything else on the road.

Anyway, as a leftover idea that birthed itself from the Suburban, the overhead console and its adaptation to the Thingamajigger.

This is the unit I salvaged form a Yukon for $15.  I also got the separate overhead lights from the same vehicle.  I like it because 1.) I think I can make it work 2.) I like the directional lights 3.) the compartments opened up a thought process that I will elaborate upon now.






This compartment is made for the inclusion of a garage door opener.  I want to modify it to contain a mount for my GPS unit.


When I removed the door, I took the push button assembly apart, ground down the rear mount tabs, and the buttons mount.  When left with only a button, I super glued it to the door.

When it dried, I took out the dremel and cleaned up the rear of it so that it was as flat as I could get and retain integrity.

This is the panel, and the intended GPS unit that will live here.  What I did in this photo was to cut up some lexan to create a small support shelf on the bottom, and an angled backing to attach some industrial Velcro. 

The shelf will alleviate the weight, so that the Velcro only needs to keep from falling off the panel.

This is what the panel looks installed.

I needed to dremel out the support shelf to clear the opening.  I also dremelled out the hinge a bit to allow for opening a bit more than originally designed.  The initial design allowed for an opening only large enough to slip in the garage door opener.  I opened it up just a bit, so that I have good visibility, and that the weight of the GPS unit keeps constant gravitational down force on the panel so that it does not flutter about while driving. 

The final picture is with the GPS laid into the panel to which it will be mounted.  There is another panel mounted above this one that meets with the headliner.  The second piece will be modified to match better with the headliner contours and recovered with a matching material I have yet to choose and then remounted.

In my plan, I am thinking this material will also be used on the two other light fixtures.  One will be mounted above the rear seat for reading, and another above the rear bed for the same reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment