19 April 2011

Running wires

Spent some time running the new speaker wires today.  What a PITA.

The pain part was keeping everything stealth.  Might have done like the PO did, and ran the speaker wire under the floor, but that did not tickle my fancy.  I chose to go the more arduous route, and run the wires (4 of them) through the cabinetry and completely out of sight while still having access should I need to make a change.

I started from the rear of the van.  Carefully considering the length needed for two runs, I left them connected so that a single loop can be pulled through, rather than two individuals.  The reason will become clear in a moment.  Making sure the wires are not connected to the speaker, as too much pulling might break something, I ran the upper cabinet speaker wires through a hole drilled at the top right corner into the closet.  After later consideration, I now might have done something different, but its done.  I ran the wires through and down the closet wall and fastened them to the wall.  I then covered the wire and fasteners with a white duct tape so that nothing would get ruined in the closet pulling on the fasteners.

I drilled two holes into the panels above the water tank and ran the wires across into the small wiring cubby.  I then ran two wires from the bed pedestal, through the wall into the wiring cubby (the one behind the electrical box) Now I have four wires to run up front from the wiring cubby.

I then ran both loops along the back of the cabinetry, behind the useless fridge with the aid of a wire snake.  Ah ha moment.  The loops allowed an easier pull of the two wires right up through the bottom of the cabinetry without overt contortionism or skinned knuckles.  A hole drilled into the second battery compartment from cabinet at the bottom of the shelf allows for a secure passage into area behind amplifier area.

The passage through the battery area was shielded from chaffing the wires by means of a piece of tubing and a dab of silicone to keep from moving.  Hole is at top corner, so as to avoid any interference with whatever other wiring I put in there.

I then went back and connected the speakers with the proper connectors.  With the rain we have been having, these inside projects are ideal to get completed.  Tomorrow to finish the wiring up to head unit, and get that installed.  I need to contemplate how to get power to system with or without key in ignition.  Maybe a separate switch located in back so I can have music while not in drivers seat. But not have issue if leaving system on accidentally.

No comments:

Post a Comment