23 April 2011

Passenger side doors

Had some little things bothering me, and I needed to attend to them

The first was the passenger door.  It had an issue with closing.  I needed to flick the lock in order to allow for it to latch and close properly, and that bothered me.  It was not a big deal, there were and are larger issues to deal with, but today in the rain I got to it.

In the picture, you can barely see the two tabs, with a rusty looking lever between them.  The lever was not finding its way correctly back between the tabs and that would not allow the door handle to reset properly.

I removed the door handle, which gave me access to the lever.  I bent the lever back a bit and problem solved.

Put the handle and lock assembly back together, with a proper dose of grease for the moving parts.







The passenger door had a sagging mirror.  This one is fairly easy to remedy as long as the mirror has not been completely worn out. 

This only applies to non power mirrors, as I have never owned a Westy with power windows and have no clue what their range of adjustment entails.

You first need to remove the two bolts at the base of the mirror from the door.  They are fairly easy to remove.




In the base of the mirror has a nut, spring and washer on a stud.  As long as the spring is not worn out and limp, the nut can be turned and tightened up to take care of the saggy mirror.

Problem two solved.




The third issue involved the slider door.  The latch that holds open the door when slid back all the way was broken.  I did have a piece I bought a while ago, but had other priorities.  To replace it, I needed to remove the access panel that covers the slider rail at the midsection of the Vanagon.

That was the problem.  Two little screws hold that panel on and they were rusted up tight.  Took some doing, but I got them undone and the panel off.  I also needed to panel off so that I can get it to the body shop supplier to have paint analyzed and formula created.

When I got the panel off, my assumptions were realized. I had thought that the Thingamajigger had a period of sitting, and although a number of mechanical needs also supported my beliefs, the finding of this confirms it for me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment