13 April 2011

Soundproofing

So last week, I also started the soundproofing project.  Really getting sick of looking at the crappy floor without a carpet, so I got to it.

Cleaned off the floor with a couple rounds of simple green.  Then wiped everything off with a general purpose auto body cleaner I get from a friend.  I used to use Dupont's 3812 for all this, but its getting expensive, and I got this nice 5 gallon pail of cleaner from Jim.

I then used my spot blaster to clean up a couple rust spots near the accelerator pedal.  At the base, there are two fasteners and the rust had started to form, so I removed it.  The other spots I will need to attend to are in the foot wells, the steps at the very bottom.  But, I will need more than the spot blaster and will attend to that at a later time and put in some new step rubbers.  Blew off any sand and grit, dabbed some industrial primer and allowed to cure while I worked on the passenger side.

Anyway, I started laying down the foil backed sound deadener.  Within an hour my hands hurt from molding the pieces into all the crevices. Some places I doubled up, mostly due to a strange angle I needed to work around, but then went over to have some continuity (i.e., front wall).

When the primer cured, I sanded it smooth and sprayed a little paint over it.  Does not exactly match, but since the formula for the original paint uses a red tint that is no longer manufactured and unavailable for under $200 per pint, I am okay with this mismatch in a spot that will probably never see the light of day again.

Got the floor wells done, the center aisle and above the wheel arches.  Need to pull the seats to do the inner parts of the seat bases, but had to hold off as I needed to get the van to the muffler shop.

Will add pictures when I download them.

No comments:

Post a Comment