03 September 2011

Rear door modifications


Installed a pull knob in the lower portion of the rear hatch today.  Also installed a matching handle in same location, this way I can easily open and close the door from the back of the van.

Used a commonly available stainless steel drawer knob that I drilled and tapped for a 10-24 rod.

The handle I found somewhere, and paid 12 bucks for it.  The inner panel is the plywood one I made a couple months ago fastened with stainless screws.

I removed the lock mechanism, and drilled and tapped the 'push' lever for the 10-24 rod.  Cleaned it out of metal shavings and re-lubed it.

I then cut a piece of 10-24 rod and bent it to emerge from a 3/8 hole I drilled in bottom most portion of door panel and door itself.

The lock striker impacts right smack dead upon a nut placed on end of the rod after threaded through the latch on the lock mechanism.


The picture is awkward as it is a small place to take a picture, but you get the idea.

Now I can open the rear hatch from inside the van if I need to get some air, or get out quickly.

1 comment:

  1. I have since removed this setup for an OEM unit with a built in lever. See posts in April 2015 for update.

    ReplyDelete