04 August 2011

Propane tank

Got myself a replacement tank from the folks at Go Westy a couple months back.  The Thingamajigger came without one, and it may be of the best as the stock one would have been junk anyway as the valve system and regulators used are different now.

So the new tank, and a trip to Lowe's plumbing section yielded this.  Might not suggest working around most propane tanks with a lit Cohiba, but this one is brandy new and never filled so please pardon the faux pas.

I modelled the connections after the stock setup (which I did not have, but used a photo I had seen).  The two connections are for the stock setup of a stove and refrigerator.  I kept the setup as I had other plans for the two connections.

This version of the setup is a bit longer than stock, and the tank's valve system is different as well, so a modifications to the lines will be necessary.

This tank is made by the original manufacturer for the Vanagon, but is updated for the current specifications.

Nice setup.


The installation of the tank is relatively straightforward.  There are four bolts that hold the tank to the body. 

I lifted the tank up with the assistance of a floor jack.  Secured it with stainless steel nuts and washers.  And then looked to the lines for the next step.

As you can see from the picture, the stock lines do not leave themselves in a position that can be used. 

My answer to this was to eliminate the one for the refrigerator, and then modify the other for the stove.  By unscrewing the connection at the stove, and undoing the screw that holds a retainer clip about halfway down the copper line you can lower the line down to have room to work on it without being confined to a small space.

I removed approximately 2 inches, and reflanged the end of the line.  The quality of the copper will dictate whether you are able to reuse or not, so be wary.

Connect up your new flanged joint, and then go back and connect up the stove at the top.  Re connect the support clamp at the center of the feed line and you are halfway there.

The other part of the T fitting is for a feed to a quick disconnect that is still coming in the mail.  I have not decided whether I will run a hard line to the passenger side, or just mount up the quick disconnect at the tank.

Further pictures to follow.

6 comments:

  1. Hi All
    Anyone know of a LP tank fill extension adapter. Put a new go-westy tank on my 82 and it was tight and hard for them to fill.
    Thanks Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry Kay offers one - http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found a extension at nashfuel.com ME574EXT-5.5 works great on my 82

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome info! I've seen these modernized tanks, but I have to wonder, has it eaten up your ground clearance at all? It appears to me that the old stock tanks didn't hang down below the body, but the new larger ones might? In any case, nice bus and thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did not change clearance. There are oversized ones, but this one is not one of those.

    ReplyDelete