28 April 2011

Pop top

Had a really nice day today, so I thought the best way to start the day would be the installation of a new pop top seal.  I first laid out all the seals across the yard for the sun to warm them and remove the spiral wound look.
Then I set out to remove the luggage rack.  The instructions with the GoWesty kit state to loosen but not to remove the rear 4 nuts on the luggage rack.  One look under the rack and I knew I needed to take it off.


Inside the pop top, I found 5 bees nests.  After cleaning up the roof, and the inside of the pop top, I got to installing the seal.  I put the two seals (old and new) together to compare length and learned that the new one had at least 6 inches on the old one, so I started in the middle of the luggage rack figuring I could trim both ends at the perfect length. 

Using the included adhesive, and more on the back side as it would not be seen if extra oozes out, I started installing the seal.  Using a rubber mallet, I made sure the seal was well seated.  It came out well.

The issue I am left with now is the difference in size (of the seal) left a line of paint where the PO's body shop taped up the top, and the new smaller seal does not cover.  Given that next years plan is to repaint the exterior, I am less concerned with the aesthetics as I am the performance of the seal.
The rear was a bit more challenging.  After cleaning the top with simple green and a scuff pad around base 1 inch to remove any residual crap that might interfere with the application of adhesive.

I raised the pop top and placed a 12 inch block in such a manner as to hold it open and give me access to all of the seal area.  I started at the front with the flat seal, using the same method of starting in the middle and working outward, using ample amount of adhesive.

I started on the drivers side, again using ample adhesive and the rubber mallet to set seal in place.  I worked my way around in two foot increments ensuring that the install was neat and properly set.  When I finished with the install and was left with the trimming to do, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it trimmed up well, and that I was able to overlap the flat seal with the bottom seal quite nicely.  Adding a dollop of adhesive under the trimmed flat seal, and securing with a piece of duct tape until adhesive cured.



Even my son got into the act, granted it was with a cookie at the rear table, but he was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment