13 April 2011

Short timers disease

You have heard the term, when someone is on their way out for a new job?  Well, I got it bad.  I have two more days after today, I really do not feel that I neeed to be starting anything new, and I have buttoned up most all of the outstanding projects.  So, I took the afternoon to play with the van.

Its raining today, fairly hard so exterior projects are not the best choice.  Not that I haven't done work in worse conditions, but I chose to do some interior work.

First, I pulled the passenger seat out.  Then I pulled out the handy dandy sawsall and got to work on the front of the passenger pedestal.

I wanted to open up the space while I was there, not having a conclusive plan for the passenger side space (drivers side will house stereo amp).


Before sawsall . . .



And after.

So, after cutting the panel out, I took out the file and cleaned up the edges.  Then dabbed on some paint to protect the metal from rusting.  I then finished covering the pedestal with the sound deadening material and got ready to cover with the SewFine carpet kit.

 Wrapped with the sound deadener, I look forward to seeing what kind of road noise we will actually experience.  It had been a while since I had been in a Vanagon, so comparisons will be difficult.  Wonder what the difference will be in comparison to my Suburban and to my E420?  Both of them are solid, quiet automobiles.


Where the battery box is, I chose to wrap the sides with the deadener, and made up a piece of 1/8 inch rubber to cover the top of the battery.  This will help with sound, and making sure there is no contact between the battery terminals and the metal cover.
Now on to the carpet. 


 As you can see from the first picture, I still have the drivers well to complete, both in some more sound deadener on front wall and carpet.  I need to remove the seat, cut the pedestal for the amplifier, sound deaden and cover that with carpet too.


The foot wells had the stock fiber deadener panels, but the aisle pictured did not have anything.  I remedied this by cutting up a piece of $5 foam from Lowe's.  Its in a pack of 4 or 5 and fits together to cover a larger space.  One piece, cut down to fit to size and not interfere with the hand brake.  Quick spray of adhesive and it is a nice alternative for this space. I have some to put over the rear floor as a protectant for the Caribbean walnut hardwood flooring

A word of caution on using spray adhesive for your carpets.  Do not expect to be able to pull the carpet up again without possible damage to the carpet.  They are not as well bonded on rear as originals, and too strong of a spray tack will cause irreparable damage to your spiffy new carpet kit.

I have decided that I will procure some Velcro for the flap that goes over the battery panel, and for the front piece where I made my new storage space.  I am thinking a small box or tray inside and have the carpet lay over it, essentially hiding from view and secured with the Velcro.  Not completely decided yet.

 I hate that these brown seats have faded to a purple hue and will most likely do something about it in the future, but for now they will have to do.  Additionally, since I will be pulling the seats out again, I will refinish the swivel bases at that point.  Probably powder coat them rather than paint, maybe a crinkle finish?

So the passenger side is done, but due to wiring needs, the drivers side carpets will have to wait until I have installed the audio system.  With the amp going under the seat, the wiring will go along the aisle and into the pedestal for the rear speakers.  The fronts will have plenty of power from the Alpine head unit.

But audio is for another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment