03 March 2011

Vocational schools

For those who are not acquainted with the vocational schools of America, they are a really neat resource.  I am actually a product of a Vocational school (I was a machinist) and have used this resource ever since graduation.  The neat part about these facilities is that they cannot charge for labor.  Its against the law.  So, for the price of some materials, and maybe a donation to their end of the year garbage fest (soda, chips and junkfood party), I can get some work done inexpensively.

Now before you go running off to find your local school, know this:  many of the students work at a slower pace than a hourly paid union roadworker.  Once you can gain their interest, you may see the piece in a short time, but do not count on it.  If you need something quick, find another outlet.

That being said, I approached them with a design I found online to add a trailer hitch to the vanagon.  Its a simple idea really, and not as monstrous as the units being sold by GO WESTY or other sites.  After all, this is not going to be an off road VW, and I really only need the hitch for my Yakima bike rack or the cooler shelf.  At 5000 pounds and 90 hp, I will not be towing anything. (well maybe my 13ft aluminum fishing boat across town)

Approval is necessary for some projects.  Large projects, or those that could potentially endanger the students or anyone after the piece is made.  This one skirts the line of endangering.  Its not anything that will alter the vehicles drivability, nor is it something exceptionally heavy, so I do not foresee a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment