15 March 2011

Brakes

Almost complete.  Had a couple hours today, got the passenger rear done.  In order to get axle nut off, I attached one of the old steel wheels and lowered the van down for some friction, chocked the wheels, and I needed a 1 13/16 socket with a breaker bar attached.  Then I put a piece of steel fence post over end of breaker bar and jumped up and down on it until it gave way.  Serious torque, cause I am not a lightweight.

I removed the axle nut so that I could pull the hub to change the wheel studs.  Also provided access to take everything apart, and then take off the backing plate. Cleaned up the end of the axle, blasted the backing plate (was surprised about how good condition was), but as taking apart my prior thoughts were confirmed as the brakes were done recently.  Problem was that the Vanagon sat for quite a while which led to rusted parts.  Shoes looked brand new, and I will keep for back ups, but I reattached the newly blasted and painted backing plate and attached everything including the new shoes.  The hardware kit I received from Go Westy was a bit disappointing.  Think it was a OP parts, but I would have to check again to confirm that.

The problem was the retainer pins that go through the center of the shoes.  The ones in the kit were a full 3/16 shorter than the ones last used.  Not that the last ones were positively the right ones, but I tried for 20 minutes to get them to work, there just was not enough length to accommodate the spring and the retainer cap.  So, I ended up modifying the older ones with a file to fit the new retainer caps.  Will search out better option, but for now its good.

I pressed in the new bearing seal (after repacking the outer bearing), replaced the newly wire wheeled and painted hub onto the axle (with its 5 new extended wheel studs from T3 Technique) and then the axle nut.  Since I have new drums, I cleaned them off with some Dupont 3812 and sprayed them with some black spray bomb paint.  If nothing else, it looks clean and will show leak issues quickly.  Also replaced the useless shock that was in there with a spiffy new blue and yellow Bilstein shock.  Wish they came in another color, but oh well.  Looking forward to the ride.

Retorqued the axle nut, inserted the new cotter pin and remounted the Mercedes wheel.  While in there, I replaced the hard brake line that attaches to the flex line at the front of the control arm.  I had bought a steel braided line to replace the flex line, but upon inspecting the connection, I knew that it was not going to budge and it was going to be part of a larger issue - the replacement of the rear section of brakes lines, the t-fitting and, of course, the braided lines.

Its a difficult tightrope I am walking.  On one hand I want to go through the van and update everything.  That, for me, would mean to remove the rear suspension, pull the bushings, sandblast the parts, paint with Dupont Imron truck paint (nearly indestructible) and reinstall with all new hardware. On the other hand, I want to be able to use this van in a couple months.  The wife and kid are eagerly awaiting its roll out!

Speaking of roll out, trying to determine what I want for tires on this road queen.  Common sense would dictate an all weather tire here in the Northeast where the weather changes in about the time it takes to sneeze.  See folks praising the Nokians, the Michelin Agilis (stock on Eurovans), Contitechs and some Norweigian tire I cannot spell.  The van may see a winter day or two, but with a 4wd GMC Suburban and a Honda CR-V also in driveway, it wont be many.

Biggest consideration is load rating (for sidewall integrity).  More on that subject later.

No comments:

Post a Comment