16 March 2011

Tires

OK, so there are enough opinions out there on tires for a Vanagon as there are curry recipes in India.

My van will be a road queen, not an off road vehicle.  Not going to say it will not see its occasional winter day, but not likely.

So, looking for a tire that has a load rating of at least 98.  Must work with my spiffy 15x7 alloy wheels.  Want quiet, decent wear, sturdy sidewalls and ability to handle rain really well.  Not asking for much, am I?  So, I thought I had narrowed it down to a few options: the Michelin Agilis (the stock tire on the Eurovans) after ruling out the Hydroedge due to load index, the Michelin LTX or one of the Nokian's.  I was looking at the WR, but thought I would get the local tire guy's opinion.  He has not steered me wrong yet with tires (I wont go there for alignments anymore, Suburban was a nightmare), but he recommended the eNTYRE by Nokian.  Not even one I had considered yet.

So here I am again, comparing tires and I am thinking I like the tread pattern on the WR.  Its a bit more aggressive, not that a road queen will really need that, but state campgrounds have dirt roads (i.e., mud).  Such a dilemma.

Edit:  Went with the Nokian eNTYRE for the Vanagon.  Its a 3 season tire, perfrct for the road queen.  Less aggressive tread means easier roll and longer wear characteristics, but sacrifices the possibility of using in a snow situation.  Very unlikely, but it was a lesser of two evils thing.  So 5 tires, mounted and balanced cost me $595 with disposal, 36,000 road hazard protection, 50,000 mile guarantee and unlimited rotations.  I am happy, for now.  The spare on the alloy wheel will not fit in the clamshell, already have that one figured out, but thats for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment