23 March 2011

Audio

Been contemplating what I wanted from an audio system.  After all, music is a big part of our lives, so why must we resign ourselves to a lackluster system that does not do anything but provide static?

So, I had purchased an Alpine CD deck (do they call them that anymore, a deck?) for my E420, but since the need is greater in the Vanagon, I decided to add the Alpine CDA 105 unit to the Vanagon.  Has the input for the iPod, can play CD's and has enough power to do what I will require. OK, now I have some technology to replace the gaping hole in the dash, next concern was the speakers.

The PO had left the stock 4 inch Blaupunkt speakers in the door, added some Yamaha 6x9's in the bed base and had something in the storage box up above (which is now empty).  The doors was first concern, and knowing that any speaker put in that door must clear the window crank handle, the pickins are slim (no pun intended).  I acquired some speakers without a grill at a yard sale some time back.  I believe them to be Pyle 5.25 inch diameter, which will fit in the rear storage holes (with modification) and the door spaces (again with modifications).  Still do not know if I can find grilles to work, maybe some generic screen types, but worst case scenario is that I modify the crank handles either by spacing or by heating the metal part of the handle to bend to my wishes.  Thought about some tweeters, but have not decided that far ahead yet.

Will need to run some wiring to handle the rear speakers correctly.  The stock wiring used a common ground which will not work with modern units.  Also, I have purchased an Alpine MRP F300 amplifier to run the rear speakers, so new wiring will be necessary regardless.

Thought also about a subwoofer in the rear hatch, or maybe a pair?  Do not currently have a panel in the door, and this would be an opportune time to build a correct support based on a piece of luan or 1/4 inch birch plywood and have it covered with a similar matching vinyl.  Will be out of the way, and fairly easy to wire up from an amplifier under the bed.

Edit- 27 March - The 'head unit' (not a deck) is perfect for this application.  Decided against using the Pyle speakers after looking up on the web, they are just inferior and not worth my effort.  Am going to research my options this week.  From what I have been reading, and I will need to take a trip to an audio shop to confirm, but the head unit has three outputs on the rear.  One for front speakers, one for rear speakers and one for a sub woofer.  Each of these will require an amp to do correctly, and I have one amp thus far.  Installing the front speakers will be initial main focus, with the 4 channel amp mounted under drivers seat to power four door speakers (two 4's and two 5.25's).  Then I will get another 4 channel amp to power the two 5.25's above the rear seat, and the two 6x9's in the bed base.  Then to complete the small soundstage, a mono amp for a 9 inch subwoofer (or pair) that I want to mount in the rear hatch door.

Cant wait to hear some Ramones the day its done. 

After a couple Chimay ales the other night, a neighbor was talking about his boat and the installed marine speakers.  Got me to thinking - what about a couple external waterproof speakers?  Maybe in the pop top? Then I thought better of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment