26 March 2011

Beware of inferior parts

Ok, here is a rant for today's exercise in futility

As previously mentioned, I received my front brake calipers yesterday.  Today was the day to put them in, and I had a three year old to help (read: twice as long).  Anyway, when I ordered the calipers, there were two types made for the Vanagon; an ATE and another I do not remember as I had the ATE.  I have read somewhere that anyone with the other style should change to the ATE as they are more available.  But please do your own research, I obviously did not look far as I had the ATE type.

Notice different brake line holes?
So, calipers in hand, loaded with pads, plates, keeper spring and guide pins, properly lubricated and ready to assemble.  Get a good look at the brake line location on the new ones, and VOILA! they attach the lines in a different location.  Swell.

So I think I am going to become boy genius and dip into the brake line hardware bin from my Harley builds.  Good thought, but nothing I had would align the brake line in a manner that would not rub against the coil spring.  By this point I am furious.  In the online catalog it listed another caliper that stated "may need alterations to brake line" but this one did not.  Now I need to pull something outta my ass to make this work, or put my project another week behind.

The catch when making brake lines is to not pinch the curves.  If I come out of the brake caliper anymore than 5/8 of an inch, I will be rubbing against the coil spring.  So I need to immediately put a bend at the very end of the line and then twist it up to the stock hanger, but there is a fitting there at the end if I use a store bought line.  So, unless I custom make a line, to the bends I need, and then insert the fitting and flare the end at the last step, I think I an SOL? But I no longer have a flaring tool, nor a proper tool setup to bend lines without pinching.  What a pain in the ass.

I think I need to sleep on it.  Meanwhile, the E420 needs its brakes bled as well and I am thinking I need a Mityvac cause I cant do it myself and a three year olds legs (and attention span) are not long enough.

I really need to add some pictures.  I have a phone full of them, but little ambition right now.

EDIT: 27 March - Woke up this morning thinking about this.  I believe I have two possible solutions right now.  Option one is to use a flexible braided line like the shorty I got for the rear.  In order to do that I would use a 90 degree fitting to come out in same direction as the original setup (towards front) and bring up to stock hanger location where another fitting would be required to connect the two female connectors. Downside is the fitting in the caliper may be too thick and potentially rub or impact in a turn / bump situation.

The second one, which I am liking better now, is the use of a banjo bolt setup.  With a banjo bolt, a couple copper crush washers and proper fitting I can delete the need for the stock hanger and go direct.  The banjo bolt fitting could be made to go in any direction and that would allow for a bit more play in the line to alleviate any possible rubbing on the line or impact to the fitting.

Would also remove the need for me to buy a flaring tool setup, bender, fitting kit, etc. that I will probably use twice in my life. 

Wow - sleep is a wonderful thing.  I was racking my brain for a solution last night, with no results to show for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment