25 March 2011

more stuff

I knew going into the Vanagon project that it would be a money pit.  My thinking was this: I wanted a decent quality Vanagon with body and engine fairly well maintained and I would weigh the rest on a case by case basis.  What that meant is that I would look for a Vanagon that would definitely require some work, but would also be cheaper on the buy side of the equation.  So rather than spending 9000 on a Vanagon that would still need brakes, tires and who knows what else, I went with one that was significantly less but required some love.  NO ONE who has owned a Vanagon will state that the engines are flawless, even a rebuilt one will need attention so I did not see the immediate need to pay for a rebuilt when I did not know who or when the rebuild had taken place.

This Vanagon project is not for the timid, or the inexperienced.  One could easily drop THOUSANDS into a project like this if having to pay someone to do the work.  Having said that, I am probably up to about $2000 now in parts to make her roadworthy and safe for my family.  New tires and upgraded wheels, new brakes and lines, new suspension parts, new carpets and electronics inside, engine tune up and water pump, the list goes on but not one penny in labor. 

The one thing I do not want to ever have to say to my family is that a planned trip has to be cancelled due to a needed repair.

So todays arrival was the new front calipers to replace the old rusty ones that the bleeder screw broke within.  They were due to be replaced at some point but I could have gotten a set of brake pads worth of mileage out of them first.  When the bleeder screw broke, and they wanted 18 bucks for it at Napa, I opted for the new calipers.  Tomorrow the calipers can get installed, and I can finally say I finished the brakes.  Between a 'helpful' 3 year old, the need to order parts and not having much free time as of late, this one day project got stretched out far too long.

Also ordered the Weitec springs from Bus Depot to replace the broken one I found when doing the rear brakes and shocks.  Will help with the ride, the Westy lean and with a 45mm drop, it will look better (IMHO).

Also found a Westy window for a reasonable amount.  There were others available, but its not like they are the last ones on earth.  Guy in NH wanted $200 for the single, one in CA wanted $120 for the set.  Found a single for $60 plus shipping.  Should have it in a week or so.  No rush, mine is not broken, but eventually I would like to put a tint on the glass and be able to use my spiffy new screens.

No comments:

Post a Comment