30 June 2014

Stripping off my top - part two

If you have not read part one - go there first.

A few things came to mind as I was reading part one to check for iPad spelling 'corrections'.

First - after the luggage rack came off, I started to remove the cleats that come from the factory.  30 years of weather really did a number on these.


The cleats are held on by two rivets. However when I initially tried to drill out the rivet, I was not getting a straight shot through as the surrounding corroded metal was softer than the rivet!  I got around this by drilling the rivet heads with a 5/16 bit until I could see the cleat and center part of the rivet.  Then I used a 3/16 bit to carefully drill through.


There are 8 of these cleats on a Westy. Stainless ones are available from the usual suspects.

The other VERY important note is that once the tent is removed, prior to pulling the top off, you MUST compare the old tent with the one you intend on replacing it with.  I have seen too many plans go afoul when the tent sent is the wrrong one.  You put a hole in it to install and you own it regardless of wrong one sent.


I compared my tents (old vs new) very carefully for size and the new one for any defects.  It is correct, and looks to be well constructed.  As you can see, I went with a synthetic fiber tent.  Although the older one lasted 30 years and I am sure I could be quite happy with the same material for a number of reasons - the one thing that always bothered me was the stains and difficulty I experienced with cleaning. Use too little cleaner and the stain won't budge, use too much and you bleach out the color and stain it permanently.

Aside from a staple mishap (sucker went in deep!), I am in a good place with the progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment