01 July 2014

Pop top - part 3A

Some added pictures from tonight.

The new stainless footmans cleats.

Rebuilt the skylight with new stainless hardware. 

Got the Wasserstopper snaps installed.

There was an issue with the Wasserstopper that is worth mentioning.  The directions discuss installation on a later model, and a slightly different pop top.  The 84 has a metal brace along the front where the instructions state that the snaps are to reside.  I got around this by first removing the center bolt holding on the brace (as this is where the center snap needs to go).  It is larger than the screw holding the snap, so I put some glue into the hole and hammered in a dowel to fill the hole.  


While that was drying, I drilled 4 holes (2 on each side) aside the center hole and installed some stainless screws to take up any pressure that the center screw was holding.  Then I drilled the dowel for the snap screw.

Positioning the Wasserstopper, I located and marked off the remaining 4 locations for front snaps, drilled through the points with the 1/8 bit and then relieved the metal brace with a 5/32 bit so the threads would not strip out as I was screwing through the metal.

With those positioned, I worked my way along each side of the pop top adding the extension snaps, 2 per side.   Now when the top goes back up, I can adjust the Wasserstopper accordingly and all will be good for the next rainstorm!






No comments:

Post a Comment