07 April 2012

Today's activities

Given that tomorrow is Easter and I wont get any garage time, I went a bit overboard today.  Feeling it right now too. 

Getting dried out with all this sandblasting.  Feel like a piece of parchment right now.  Spent the day prepping the drivers side for subsequent work.  Having done the passenger side, I was able to anticipate sandblasting needs and went to town.



The before photos.  My seam rust is evident here.  Dinged up wheel arch and wonky rear corner panel.
The seam rust on the vertical seam and the lower horizontal seam.  Typical stuff for a nearly 30 year old Vanagon.

Not for long.

Overall, it is really not that bad.







Stripped off the 'removables' - the flue vent, water/elec hookups, side marker light and the wheel house and rear corner panel.


I know its technically not a removable, but to day it is!  Used the whizzer and three cut off wheels to get it to this point. 


Then, cutting the inner wheel house within 5/8 in from the outer edge.  Hammer and chiseled off the remaining piece of old wheel arch.  Left me with this point.



Started with the sandblaster towards the front of the van and worked my way back.  All seams got blasted, whether they needed it or not.  All of the lower panel got blasted too, expecting that I will need to do some work there.


Did the side panel, all seams, flue vent, hookup mount holes.


All of the mount edges for the new wheel arch were done, as was any spot on the van that looked suspect, or would be hard to chemically strip.

That brought me back to the front.


I also did the frames of the windows (slider and rear) in the same fashion I did yesterday; by cutting off a portion of the rubber moulding to allow access.


When I did that, I found this.  Someone has been in here before. 

Not going to be able to work on it for a day or two, work getting in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment