06 April 2012

Priming the body

Finished the welding on the passenger side.  Had a couple small pin holes at the bottom of the B pillar and C pillar.  Cleaned them up nice and then sandblasted to get rid of any and all residue or welding slag.

Started taping things up and got to thinking about the rearmost side windows.  In truth, I have been battling in my head on the proper way to deal with them (which is to remove them) versus wanting to keep as much crap out of the van as possible.  I solved this dilemma today.

What I decided to do is to carefully carve off the outer edge of the rubber moulding.  I left just enough to secure the window in place but allow for access deep into the window orifice.

The picture on the right shows the difference in access between where I had sandblasted yesterday right up to the edge of the rubber moulding, and the additional access provided by carving up the moulding.

As you can see, the window still stays in place just fine.  I sandblasted the window frame when I did the lower welded spots.

Looks good, and I am sure (and pleased) of the condition under the moulding.  Now the epoxy primer has been laid, across the whole passenger side up through the raingutter.


Does not look like much without all the add on parts and the doors, and it has taken me too long to get to this point, but we are progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment