26 August 2013

Suspension . . . Next steps

Tomorrow I start the preparations for the front end changes.  It will be down a week, but with an action packed September planned, I want it done. And considering the Labor Day weekend warriors, I will choose to stay local and continue camping when they are all done for the year.

First things first - need to install the replacement compressor.  Then organize the garage to provide maximum working space on both sides. And hope for appropriate weather.

Will need the compressor to do some sandblasting- on the sway bar, and the undercarriage before pulling it in to the garage in order to minimize the mess inside.  Hoping to have all blasting done in a couple days as I do need to work during the day. Need a few bags of blast media, as I won't be using the cabinet and some paint / under coating.

There is not much under there that I plan on reusing, so after I remove the wheels and the shocks I only need be concerned with the coating on the new springs.

The upper control arms, lower control arms, sway links, radius arms and spindles are all ready for install.  Even bought some stainless cup washers and sleeves as a kit from T3 Technique this week as something I overlooked.  Had the sleeves, just not the cup washers.

Looking for a Labor Day sale to order my bigger brakes.  Had a near miss last trip that I want to avoid if it happens again: little 'back to college' airhead, with her brand new Honda Civic chose to stop for a yellow light within 10 feet of the intersection with a big Westy and a Suburban directly behind her.  Her tires squealed, never mind ours.  We veered away to each side and avoided a bad situation.  If my Westy did not roll up over her car on its own, the Suburban behind me would have finished the job.

Update - Got my blast media, procured a few tyvek spray suits as the DuPont Corlar I will be applying underneath is nasty stuff when wet and extremely durable when dried. Ordered up the Corlar and will be picking that up today.

From the DuPont site:

DuPont™ Corlar® 934S™ 3.5 VOC Primer-Sealer

A two-component, 3.5 VOC, non-sanding epoxy primersealer that delivers excellent appearance (very smooth, very little texture) and excellent corrosion protection. Recommended for use over properly treated metal substrates.


Oooooh, sounds toxic and downright indestructible.

Update 28 Aug - weather is not cooperating.  Rainy today.  Reinstalled compressor, and relocated first water separator 5 more feet away from compressor as when it was 4 feet up the line the air was still too hot to condense and be separated. Moved another 5 feet, might help but I do still have the second separator that moves where I need it.

Update 29 Aug - still raining.  Too wet to sandblast.  Starting to think my timeline may need to bounce back a bit. Won't take much more than a few hours to strip the front suspension out.  Then a few more to prepare for sandblasting, couple to do the blasting and another to clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment