31 August 2013

Bigger brakes on their way.

Labor Day sale at Go Westy meant I bought the Bigger Brakes kit.

A bit tweaked over a $90 UPS ground shipping charge though.  That box ought to be silver plated. 

The late model spindles, rotors and calipers I received few weeks ago was $38 for UPS ground and also from California.  I ship 250 pound ovens, valued at $7000-10,000 for $250 and that is with packing insurance and lift gate service!

Seems a big excessive.


Still patchy drizzle.  So I broke out sandblaster, hung the sway bar beneath my ez up tent and sandblasted it.  Cleaned it off with some enamel reducer, primed and painted with Imron.  Moved it to my garage to dry (which will take a few days to properly cure).

At least I got something done on the van.

Supposed to rain again tomorrow, so I am thinking about digging back into the dash. Blue foil needs replacement, have a couple tweeters I have needed installed, controls on heater are tight, usual stuff.

UPDATE - received the kit.  It was 73 pounds, plus the other box for the hubs.

The hub kit seems to be a complete kit, with everything except thrust washers.  Studs are pre-installed and I guess if you do not have spacers, they will be sufficient for most wheels. 
 
The caliper assemblies are noticeably larger.  The carrier is huge, as is the reservoir behind the piston.  From a quick measurement, it looks as if the piston diameter is the same size as stock (2.25 inches) but the claim is that the larger mass of the rotor will increase the stopping power.

The outer diameter of the new rotor is roughly the same as the original '84 rotor.  This is a hair larger than the later models diameter.
 
Here is to hoping the larger mass of the rotor and the addition of the BMW booster I have will dramatically add to the stopping ability of the Thingamajigger.
 
The expense is up there for a nominal change in stopping power, but what is my family's safety worth? 

No comments:

Post a Comment