01 August 2013

More front end work

So I have been trying to determine a sure fire way to get those three bolts out for the readers.

PB Blaster or some sort of penetrant is definitely necessary, over time.

This week I had to fly to Denver for work so I put the lower arm in the press and put some pressure on it to see what would happen after three days.  I was secretly hoping that constant pressure would have it pushed out when I got back.  Alas, that was not to be.

However, after the three days and a couple days prior of multiple penetrant applications, the 5 pound sledge popped that bolt right out with a few taps.  Now for the other two.  More penetrant last night, and put it into the press.

Will see where that gets me later today.

Got notification this morning that my 88 spindles were sent from CA a couple days ago.  Now to order my big brake kit. 

There is a whole heap of effort going into this particular Thingamajigger project, but I know it will pay off in spades.  Having a quiet and responsive suspension under the old girl will be a very comforting feeling, especially since my other vehicles ride this way.  No more shakes, wind gust directional changes, white knuckles or unnecessary road noise.  And having the additional stopping power will be more than welcome.

Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling just thinking about it.

2 August 13 Update: second bolt didn't do anything in the press except start to mushroom on the end.  Looking into other options - probably lots of heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment