03 March 2012

March comes barrelling in

Been a really shitty couple weeks.

Had two family members pass away (a great Aunt and my paternal Grandfather), and a good friends wife finally succumbed to cancer.  Fighting the flu for a week, and for the first time it has REALLY kicked my ass.

Have not done squat on the van, except wish that I had the energy to do SOMETHING!

Did manage to order a few interior trim pieces, some headliner material and a spiffy Go Westy shift repair kit.  That combined with my T3 Technique shifter fork pieces should ensure some sweet shifting.  Got me a used BMW brake booster for upgrading while I am in the dash.  Will make my future braking upgrades that much easier.

Also bit the bullet today and celebrated tax season - ordered a new compressor.  60 gallon tank, vertical with 3.75hp. I bought the 4 year extended warranty so if anything happens to it, they own the problem.

Also bought an Eastwood sand blaster that converts to a soda blaster.

So, part of being sick and stuck indoors was that my time was spent looking through some old photos for pictures of my grandfather for part of the memorial.

Came across some cool ones of the years past Westies.  Here is one from July of 1970.  I am the little 1.5 year old tyke on the right, and the guy in the funny pants is my father.

Or this one from the Northeast Blizzard of 78.  The woman in the picture was the person who fostered my love of travel and of Westfalias - my Grandmother Aurea.  She and my Grandfather saw every state in the union (except Hawaii - after WWII Grandfather did not want to return) and every province in those Westys.  Thanks to you both, I have never regretted a minute spent travelling.


Or this one of an obnoxious 14 year old me, stealing rides in the 82 vanagon when nobody was home.



2 comments:

  1. Amazing legacy! Cool to see some history you have with the vans. Very sad about your family however.

    ReplyDelete