15 March 2012

Well - progress has been slow. 

Flu for a week, led to a sinus infection that kicked my ass, and then my grandfather passed.  A few days getting ready to execute his Memorial and the dinner afterwards has put a damper on REAL progress.

I did however outfit the garage with a new toy (grin)

60 gallon tank, 3.75hp should keep up with the air tools.  If I was a professional mechanic, I probably would not have gone with this unit, but for the Chef playing Wrench, I am good.

Hard lined the compressor (since the picture) with 1/2 inch black pipe.  Three pressure releases along the hard line to release the moisture, plus a moisture filter built in.  Ran the hard line down the center beam of the garage with 12 inch drops every three feet attached to two quick disconnects per drop.  Will probably add one outside the garage in order to have a place to attach an air hose when the door is closed. (For example - when the wind is blowing, or when I am sandblasting and want to keep crap out from a clean garage)

I still need to install the vibration pads on the feet and anchor it down.  Have the parts, just need to borrow a hammer drill.

After I shop tomorrow for my grandfather's memorial, I may find myself tinkering again.

EDIT: Said screw it, couple days later I decided to buy an inexpensive hammer drill.  Not sure what I will need it for after this job, but a Hitachi drill was 60 bucks. Not worth waiting for contractor friend to bring it over to get job done.

EDIT 2:  The choice of black pipe may not have been the best choice.  I wanted something strong and durable, not easily bent and easy to assemble.  What I ended up with was strong and durable.  But due to the cheap Chinese castings for the T's and elbows, I have some leaks.  I will try and disassemble so I can really tighten down on the joints, but its a pain in the ass.  I know copper would have been more expensive, but I cannnot help but wonder if that would have been a better choice?

I am also going to need another water filter.  The one I installed is too close to the compressor.  The vapor in the lines does not condensate until further down the line.  Noticed it accumulating in my sandblaster's water filter, which is on the end of the black pipe line.

No comments:

Post a Comment