13 January 2012

Strippers, stripping and voyeurs

Much more dramatic title than the content.

Started the long awaited process of stripping the paint off the Thingamajigger today.  First, I dropped off the front doors and the rear hatch for some stripping love.

Then I got to work on the rest of the van.

I started in the front passenger corner because (currently) that is the most accessible.  Once the 2 door refrigeration unit is gone, then I can have better access.
After removing the gas surround (three screws and a counterclockwise rotation) and the aluminum support bracket for the Trans Awn 2000, I was ready to prep the work area.

I use cheap plastic tarps that I cut up to cover the wheel and the wheel house.  I also covered the gas cap in case goo got between the open hole.

I am using a high strength gel stripper agent.  Applying with cheap 2 inch brushes from Lowes.  I also am using duct tape and roll paper to keep any drippings away from areas I do not want goop upon.  Inexpensive plastic putty knives assist in 'scraping' although there is not much left after the stripper does its thing.

One note:  the VW factory put a base coat of something (probably epoxy like) as a protective layer under the paint.  It is important, if we are going this far, to remove that layer as well.  This proves to be the hardest thing to remove.  From the picture below, we can see why removal of this is important.


This little oxidation was found under the factory basecoat, and its not the only one.  Stripping to metal will ensure my paint
job will last another 15 plus years.
 After stripping the various layers off, I will media blast the oxidation spots, repair any dents and then immediately spray on an industrial epoxy primer that is high build in nature.  I wish I could tell you the name right now, but I was given a quart of the stuff for this weekends work from the auto body without a name attached.

More stripping tomorrow, then I can get into the panel replacements and alot more sandblasting.

The primer will sit until the remainder of the van has been done, then the finish work

No comments:

Post a Comment