25 January 2012

Primer

Dont have any pictures yet, but I do have the name of the first primer coat.  Its a Dupont product called Metalok.  Its a 2 part epoxy primer that will bond itself nicely to the baremetal and VW basecoat that remains.  From the Dupont site:  "DuPont™ Metalok® 250S™ is a non-sanding, chrome containing pretreatment formulated to provide maximum adhesion and corrosion resistance."

Edit:  this is the stuff.


I bought a gallon of the stuff, with the activator that set me back $300.  Then there will be the high build primer, which is a DuPont Nason 2K urethane primer 421-19 Selectprime. 

EDIT: This is it


And finally the paint system I am choosing to use is an Imron paint.  Its a regrettably unrepairable paint, rather you must panel paint instead of blending and hiding any repairs, but it is a small price to pay.  It NEEDS to be painted in a spray booth, to bake it on or else I will have to look at a poor finish for all its remaining years.

All of these products are intended for fleet service, and will provide YEARS of additional durability to the Thingamajigger's aesthetics.

It is not low VOC, probably not available in California, but there is a low VOC version that is water borne.  I am going with the stuff that will make me giddy for a day or two from fumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment