22 January 2012

Stripping rear panel

OK, this panel was the one I feared the most.

Not because it is low to ground, or because it has more visible rust than any other panel but because of the multitude of bends, crevices and oddly shaped curves.

Tore down the lights, license plate bracket and bumper.  Slathered on some chemical stripper and fired up a La Gloria (not Cubana) cigar.


I picked up a box of these in Tampa my last way through on a suggestion from shop owner.  Medium bodied, decent flavor.  I would give it a 6.75 on a 10 point scale. 

I actually did not think I would be working in garage at all today.  Its Korean New Year, and I got all my requirements done early so I could have a few hours in garage to play.

While rear panel was stewing in the chemicals, I finished up the rear quarter panel.  It needed to have the remainder of the gray primer sanded off.  And I needed to finish around the perimeter of the rearmost glass.


Et Voila!




So a final slathering after I removed the remainder of the bracketry for the awning.  Allowed to sit and scraped off the slime.

It came out sweet, although I want to sandblast the face and underside of the rain channel.  You can see a spot of rust where the awning was mounted in the above picture.

Clean and beautiful.  Good lines that will provide good definition to paint when applied.


No comments:

Post a Comment