21 January 2012

Ran out of chemicals

First gallon of stripper down. Mid way through an anticipated 10 inches of snow today

Got the right rear quarter panel, and the corner panel done today.

Before work picture on left.

Got the Slider door mechanism cover off, with the nifty gasket that is missing on so many vans.  Also removed the grille covering the intake on the upper rear corner off. 

Do not really care about the gasket on this window, I have a replacement.  One that does not require the insert that looks so bad after a very short time, from a later model van.


The panels themselves are in great condition.  The darker color is the VW applied base coat.  The gray color is the primer residual that is left after the chemical stripper has done its thing.

I am no auto body professional, but I will venture to guess that the gray primer is not being completely removed due to it being a water borne product.

For me to get completely down to the factory basecoat, I am sanding by hand with a scuff pad.

Aside from the rol loc disk being used in front directional space, no mechanical sanding as of yet.
Why you may ask?  Well, I am trying to keep the dust down right now.  I can remove the paint with chemical, it falls onto a drop cloth and after a couple days it is hard enough to scoop up and place into an old gallon paint can.  I will hold onto that until the city's hazardous waste day.

Dust, would get into everything, all my tools, my Harley's (even though they are covered) and find their way into the van, into my house, into the other cars . . . 

There will be plenty generated before the paint is applied.  No need to rush.

You can see the hatch in the last shot.  It has the typical window rust spot.  I will not be doing anything to this particular hatch.  Its junk, with multiple holes on the bottom, so just not worth anything.  I will save the glass as a backup.  Might be great to slide down a snowy hill?

The flag in the window is a Korean flag.  We fly the American, Acadian and Korean flags in reference to my wife's Korean ancestry, my Acadian ancestry and our beloved United States of America.

As for the van - I will need to get some more stripper, hit the slider rail area well, and finish up the very bottom of the panel aside the slider and we will be close to done on this side.

No comments:

Post a Comment