13 February 2011

Last one for the day.

Been running around a bit today, and just had to replace a limit switch in my furnace.  20 degrees out, needed heat!

Anyway, got to tinkering with the van today. (I should really name her soon).  Wanted to replace the left taillight lens (found a pair on ebay for 30 bucks shipped), and ensure all the lights were working.  Tailights are easy on a Vanagon.  Four screws and they drop out.  Panel on back of lens carrier opens up and you have access to the bulbs.  One problem with the Vanagons is the lack of adequate taillight visability on the rear of the van.  The location plays a part in this, as well as the inadequate bulbs that came in the vans.  A quick trip to Napa yielded some higher output bulbs (the LED ones tend to run too hot and can melt the lens) and voila, tailights working, directionals working and a quick test on the brakes yeilds . . .nothing.  Given the aforementioned 20 degree weather, I shall opt not to crawl under dash to check brake switch today.


Side marker bulb fixture

Instead I look to the front end lighting.  The headlights were upgraded to a Hella H-4, but upon a quick viewing, I did not see the headlight relay upgrade necessary to support the full amount of juice the halogen bulbs will require.  Put that on the 'buy' list.

Then seeing that the drivers corner marker lamp is out, I pull off the lens to find a blob of oxidation and corrosion.  No wonder it is not working.  Yank it out, clean off the lens and put a couple bulb sockets on the 'buy' list.

The buy list is ever growing, and I am OK with that.  I would rather know exactly what has been done, and be sure its done right.  Probably why I have thus far refused to get rid of the older Suburban and Mercedes.  I know whats been done, I know every creak and sound, and where I stand.  With the van, I am now in unchartered teritory and need to get my bearings quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment