23 February 2011

Itching

to get working on the van.

Wrong tires - cheapy passenger type.
Picked up another 8 hole Mercedes wheel for spare tire use.  If I am going to be mounting the spare on the pathfinder carrier on the rear hatch of the van, it should be at least decent looking.  Craigs list - Central Mass, $20.  Of course I will have to pay for the disposal of the old tire, but I guess its a small price to pay.

Got a new (used) spot blaster from my auto body friend. Had one years ago, lost it in the same move I lost 120 pounds of dead weight (the ex).  Still coming across things that I used to have.  Could be my whole roll away, and I would have still come out ahead.  Anyways, I digress, spot blaster and some new goggles to hit any rust spots inside the van while installing the sound deadener.

Same thought - visited an old friend at an auto body.  Last time I played with cars, Vari Prime was the cats meow as far as applying to raw steel.  Damn that stuff will kill you, quick.  Needed to get up to speed again on proper products to be working on the van.  The Harleys I have been working on on the past 8 - 10 years have all had professional paint jobs, so I have lost my edge with the current products.

Jim will be putting together a box of stuff for me to bring home and have ready for quick repairs - a nice high build primer, some paint, blending agent, clean up agents, DA paper, some blast media, etc.  Also picking up a couple inexpensive HVLP guns to do the job - one for primer, one for paint.

Still racking my brain for a name.  The van needs a name.  I feel that I want to incorporate some sort of reference to my grandparents, or specifically grandmother, who took me EVERYWHERE in her VW vans.  It was her willingness to share what she knew through those vans that got me hooked.  So I think its only appropriate.  I guess one day it will come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment