14 February 2011

Amassing more stuff

Few weeks ago I bought a set of 8 hole Mercedes wheels like the ones on my 94 E420 for the Vanagon.  The pattern is the same 5x112mm, just have to be concerned with the offset.  Now I know the 15x6.5 needs a spacer of about 10mm, but the 7 inch wide ones have a different offset.  Still need to try them. They were picked up by a co-worker in Vermont (big kudos to Phil Joseph for picking up) and he still has yet to come down to drop them off.  I cannot complain, I only paid $100 for the set of four.  The tires on them are not adequate for the weight of the van, but until I get it ready for driving, they will do to move around, to and from the garage.  I will be trying that out later tomorrow, determining offset needs (and whether I need a spacer) and then I can order longer lug bolts to accommodate the alloy wheels thicker seat.

Picked up a spare tire carrier from a Nissan Pathfinder today.  Guy wanted $40 for it (with a Nissan spare) We ended up settling for $20 and a 12 pack of berry flavor Hydrive (caffeinated water, I get free) Fairly certain I can modify the bracketry enough to move the spare onto the back hatch.  Normally, for those who do not know, the spare is under the driver/passenger seats in a 'clamshell' under the car.  Now that a larger wheel and tire is on the way, this larger diameter will not fit in he clamshell without modification.

Also got her a new battery, ordered up a second battery kit from Go Westy to wire up a back up battery, and found a grab handle on ebay to install on the drivers side (to match the passenger side).  Do not know why they did not install at factory, but for 12 bucks delivered, I couldn't pass it up.

This week is supposed to warm up significantly, so I am happy I have stuff to play with when it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment