13 February 2011

Flooring?

So having owned a Vanagon before, and having used said Vanagon for everything from beach visits to camping at base of Mount Washington so that we could be the first ones up Tuckerman Ravine, I am well aware of the beating a carpet in the back of the van is subjected.  Keeping this in mind, I considered my options for a floor covering that would be ideal to handle the traffic, be easy to clean, and be attractive enough to warrant the expenses associated with the installation.

I first thought about a Pergo style floor.  Thinking a floating laminate floor would be inexpensive, good looking have a decent wearability to handle a three year olds ambivalence to muddy boots.  I chose to avoid that option as any moisture may delaminate the flooring.  Although the costs to repair would be minimal, I tried to find something else.

I then thought of a linoleum over a 1/4 inch luan.  Then quickly thought the appearance would not satisfy my better half.

I was then presented with a few other ideas via the internet and thought I had chosen a suitable option when my neighbor, a general contractor, stopped by to see my new driveway ornament.  When I was giving the tour, I presented my thoughts on a decent flooring option, and he then offered an alternative.  He gifted a box of prefinished Carribbean Walnut hardwood flooring!  Perfect idea; inexpensive, good looking, wears well and the box contains enough to do the floor and have some left over for any potential repairs.  Its a bit heavier than I wanted, but we shall see how well it installs.

No comments:

Post a Comment