20 December 2011

There are some things that need to be done

Organization is at the heart of a Chef.  Mise en place, or 'everything in its place' prior to starting a project is key to a happy outcome.
Alas, this was not making me happy:

This is a clusterf*ck of a homemade shelf I inherited when I bought my house.  I kept it as the other half of the garage is lined with wire racks that have served my organization needs - until now.

I could not get something off the shelf without knocking something else down.  That pisses me off.

There was 4 feet of these half ass shelves full of all sorts of stuff.

And this is in addition to the wire racks on the opposite side.

Time to consider options.


SO when you mention that your organization needs a fix to a friend who is a contractor, you expect a certain amount of professionalism and an idea or two.  What I got was a maniacal laugh, some comments about my anal retentiveness in my work areas (especially my kitchen), and a room full of laughter at my expense (wife included).


The corner to receive the shelves

When the laughs subsided, and we all caught out breath, grabbed another round of beverages and all of a sudden Mick the contractor yells "I GOT IT!" with such vigor I thought he would wake up my sleeping 4 year old.

From the explanation I got, it seems that Mick had signed a new contract that day and the new T Mobile site had some demolition that needed to be done before becoming the latest bastion of cellular technology in this city of 500 phone vendors.

The demo?  Multiple shelf units of a 6 inch depth.  Each one measuring 2 feet wide by 8 feet high.  I scored 4 of them, and some 4ftx8ft retail slat wall panels.

I cleared out the back corner to get ready to install the first of the shelves.  Broke out the ramset, some pressure treated 1x6 and got them shelves up.







This is what three of them look like installed.  Perfect depth for most of my needs.  May need a larger shelf to support the various Harley manuals and other books.  But everything has a spot, I have room to grow (a fourth shelf yet to be installed) and its ORGANIZED.

The added benefit is that the space taken from the wall is minimal, providing more work space in an already cramped garage.

This makes me happy.

Now if I could only sell the 5 foot wide commercial refrigeration unit that is taking up so much space.

No comments:

Post a Comment