04 August 2011

Yanking the refrigerator

I needed the storage more than I needed a semi efficient refrigerator that holds barely more than my sons milk and my beer.  I had decided to yank it a while ago. but did not actually do it until a couple weekends ago.

First step was to make sure there is no gas in line.  I did not have any tanks installed in the Thingamajigger, so that part was easy.  The refrigerator is held in by the front panel (to which there are four screws behind the round caps).  The panel pulls out from the right.

Unplug the refrigerator by reaching in through the right cabinet.

There are two screws from each side that are also holding the fridge in the cabinet.  Reach in from both sides, from right cabinet and left lift up storage space.  Pull out the fridge by walking it little by little.  Watch your fingers.

Should slide out with minimal distress.  With gloves and a mask, now examine the insulation in the back of the cabinet for signs of rodents.  Wearing the gloves will protect you from touching obviously bad things, but depending on what is found, the airborne rodent particles can make you equally as sick.

Vacuum up the trash and whatever else is needing to be removed.

The use of the space is up to you.  A couple shelves, or maybe a single?  Make sure to seal up the rear of the cabinet.

To reinstall the fascia, I added a 1x2 strip the length of the cabinet in order to screw in the outer piece of the cabinet.  Then mounted up the door.

The only remaining piece is to deal with the space at the bottom of the cabinet that was once the refrigerators vent.

My choice was to use a piece of the same flooring material I used for the nice floor I installed a few months ago.  Few measurements, a couple easy cuts and screwed in from behind the piece and we have a nice looking finished cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment