01 August 2011

Three more trips, and all is somewhat well

Just came back from Wolfsgart, a VW / Porsche and Audi fest in Burlington, VT.  This after three weeks of constant work travel; Fort Wayne Indiana, Tampa Florida, NYC, Philadelphia, Buffalo NY.  Came to conclusion that O'Hare sucks as they will shut down if a duck farts and Detroit is not much better.

Anyway, back to the story

Van performed well except for a couple hiccups.  While on way up, I found the hard way that my gas gauge bottoms out at 1/4 tank.  Prior to this, I would fill up before leaving and then again before coming home.  The trip to Vermont was a solid 4.5 hours so I needed to fill up somewhere along the route. It is relatively painless, but I will need to determine the cause of this failure.  Waking down I89 to buy a gallon of gas in 95 degree weather is not my idea of fun.

I was certain that upon return, I would find another Westy heading up to Wolfsgart and pulled over to offer assistance.  I would later determine that the only other Westy's up there were Quebecois.

While up in Vermont, the slider would not close.  If it happened early in the day it would have been fine, but it happened after my 4 year old was tucked in for the night.  Duct tape to the rescue!  Fashioned a 36 inch piece of duct tape into a rope like shape and used it to wrap around the door handle and the seat belt mechanism to hold the door closed for the night.  Next morning I pulled off the door panel and lubed up the cable and the two opposing latch mechanisms.  Works great now.

The last hiccup had the potential to be the most destructive.  I had been thinking that the Thingamajigger was running really well, almopst too well.  And that I was bound to have my luck run out.  Well, I guess the Vanagon angels were shining down on me.  I got the family home safely and decided since my gas gaugfe was not working so well, that I would go fill up.

Got to the neighborhood Sunoco which is less than a mile awayp and answered the usual "what is this?" questions.  Started way back,

No comments:

Post a Comment