02 August 2011

Too much work

Makes Chojinchef a slow poster.

Been all around due to work:  Fort Wayne Indiana, Tampa Florida, Buffalo New York, NYC (where I am now waiting to go out with a client), Philadelphia and more.  Work is busy and I guess I should be happy, when all I want to do is camp.  At least it gives me plenty of time to contemplate new additions to the Westy!

Last weekend we went to Burlington, Vermont for the Wolfsgart VW, Porsche and Audi meet.  Fun times had by all, but we had a few vehicular hiccups.

Firstly, I realized that my gas gauge does not go below 1/4 and found out the hard way.  Usually, I fill up before I go and then before I come back and I have been set.  This time, going outside the comfort zone (4.5 hours each way) and I ran out of gas on I-89.  After 45 minutes of walking I return to the Thingamajigger with a gallon water jug full of gas and we are on our way again.  Some sort of fix I will have to contemplate later, but for now I must remember to not let it get to 1/4 tank.

The other issue I had was that the slider door would not close.  Would not have been so bad if it happened in the daylight hours (or when I was not 3 quarts into my special sangria), but it happened after I had set my son down for the night.  So no tinkering, and minimal noise was the requirement.  So I grabbed Daddy's little helper (duct tape) fashioned a four foot piece of rope and pulled the door shut wrapping the duct tape rope around the handle and the seat belt mechanism.  The following morning I traced the cause to the rear latch mechanism. It was stuck open.  Some PB Blaster to lube it up until I got home and could really lubricate the whole thing.

Lastly, I must admit I had a great ride home.  The WBX was running like a fine watch.  Shifts were smooth, ride was comfortable, and all was generally good in the world.  A ride that good means something is brewing.  Something is going to happen, and it did.  I had just dropped the family off and was going to fill the tank for the next adventure (remember, I ran out last time) and I drove the 3/4 of a mile to my local Sunoco.  I filled the tank and answered the usual questions from the attendant who was younger than my VW.  I jumped back in and drove directly home.

When I got back to the homestead, I shut down the van and heard strange sounds from the van.  Running around back, I come to find the car overheating and gurgling.  Swell.  I pulled out all the sleeping bags, cover and cushions from the rear.  Took off the hatch to find that the motor had thrown the belt.  Must have happened during the trip back from the gas station because the gurgling stopped within a few minutes.

I allowed it to cool and put on the spare belt.  I moved it in the other driveway and contemplated what I thought it would need.  New belt - definitely, Temperature sensor - probably, check fluids and see what happens.

Following day I install the temperature sensor from my 'road kit /spare parts' that I carry around.  Fill up the coolant tank and expansion tank (as I know it ejected some) and try to start it.  It fired right up, and seems no worse for the wear.  Vbelt is coming along with another spare.

Also ordered the shifter extension, a couple fuel pump mounts and a pop top vent window seal kit.  I occasionally get a drip or two (sometimes more) and I want it sealed.  No sense in ruining my wooden floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment