21 July 2013

Exterior table for Vanagon.

Second task for today was to build a table support for the outside of the van.

Using one of my jacks (I carry two to steady the van while camping, keeps it from rocking too much when sleeping), I ground off the paint on one side for welding.

I cut a piece of 1/4 inch by 1.5 inch bar stock eight inches long.

I then removed the mounting tabs on a Westy front table mount so that I had a round piece with only the attached nut.  I also ground away some of the galvanized coating so my welds would be decent.

Locating the piece of bar stock, slightly angled from the crank handle side of the jack, I tack welded it on.  I then located the round table receiver in a manner that the cranking would not interfere, nor the hand knob operation.

After trying the jack in the position I wanted, and its full operation:


Now that it works as I envisioned, I finished welding it up. I left the welds to the jack minimal in case the jack fails, and I can cut off and then replace the jack portion.

Then I brought it to the sandblast cabinet, blasted off the rest of the galvanization and welding slag.  Cleaned it with the enamel reducer, and sprayed it black.


She is now ready to camp. Pretty spiffy.

I dislike single use items in the van, now this jack has three purposes.

I also realized I had not added a cigar recommendation as of late.

These are my current favorites:




No comments:

Post a Comment