01 May 2012

Rear quarter revisited

Got to finishing up the rear quarter.

I removed the rear overhead cabinet, and then the closet cabinets to gain access to the top of the wheel well in the vans wall cavity.


I then broke out the sandblaster and cleaned up the weld area and complete top of the wheel well.  I wanted all traces of oxidation removed.



Picture is not the greatest, and I did some more after this shot was taken, but you get the idea.  A clean panel means a good clean weld.  It will also ensure that the seam remains rust free for a long time.

After breaking out the shop vac, and a mini hose to get into the wall I got to welding.  I did have a mishap while welding; after aligning up the panel, I was getting in and out of the rear of the van to make sure I was not lighting the undercoat on fire and the panel moved without my noticing.  I then welded it up and have a slight warp in one part of the panel.  It means a bit of bodywork, but its not that bad.

After cleaning up the welds, I primed up the upper part of the wheel well and will allow to cure overnight.  Tomorrow I will break out the sealer.

So with some time to wait - allowing the primer to cure, I don't know why I would not fire up a cigar while contemplating my next steps?




This Kristoff was one of the better cigars I have had in a while.  Was so good, I did not want to put it down.  Smoked it to a nub.

So while I am drawing on the cigar, I figure my next step is to start on the drivers side rocker panel.



Its ugly - real ugly in there.  Going to have my hands full with this repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment