18 June 2015

Did something stupid

Earlier in week I was doing some maintenance on the thingamajigger when I noticed the passenger wiper arm was loose.  Instead of removing and cleaning out the teeth on the spindle shaft, I started tightening the nut.  Snapped the threads right off.

Immediately I ordered the replacement parts from Van Cafe, knowing that I could drill out the center, tap the shaft and repair that way, I chose the full replacement route.  Why, you may ask?

Because I have had a completed dash in the garage waiting for my busy ass to install anyway.  This gave a good reason.

So the tear out of the dash began Tuesday night.  Only took me about 20 minutes to tear down the dash and have access to the heater box, which also needs to come out to gain access to the wiper assembly.  



The bracket that the wiper motor attaches to needs to be removed as the other end is where the passenger shaft assembly is mounted.


You will notice the broken shaft, and that the assembly is peened into the bracket.  The new one will need to be peened into the bracket.  After wrestling with this for a few minutes, the new one was ready to be reinstalled.  Properly greased back up, with new rubber grommets at the body orifice, it was carefully reassembled.  

 My new dash needed to be completed.  The addition of my audio head unit, and a wiring harness to support the additional power outlets and new map light was built.  Had to swap the VIN plate and Aluh the hula girl.

The dash was carefully placed into position while all the connections were made.



Looks like colored spaghetti, but careful labeling on the disassembly allows for quick reassembly. I have had this dash out a few times, so my p-touch labels are permanent additions to my dash wiring.

Couple more bits to install: fuse box cover, glove box and the panel below the dash for heater vents.  I have a couple wires to run to my second fuse box.  The power outlets are marked as capable of 20amps, so I need to give them each a circuit and separate fuse.

Now the black dash is in, the steering column and the steering wheel (with a new Wheelskin).  The grab handles on pillars are black, as is the rear view mirror.  Transformation to black has begun.






No comments:

Post a Comment