13 January 2014

Pinewood Vanagon

It's Pinewood Derby time for the Cub Scouts. 

Since I am the Cubmaster, I have created a 'parents and siblings' class that will be raced after the normal Scout races.  This is in attempts to keep the Cub Scouts cars made by the Cub Scouts, and the parents can focus on their own cars.

So why am I mentioning this in my Vanagon blog?

Here is why. . .




Although the wood work is not my forte, that came out great.  I was very pleased with the overall fit, size and shape of the pinewood car.  The painting, in that small of a scale is not the best, but it will run and be fun for the kids.  I will probably be doing touch ups until race day. 

My son has not seen my smaller version of the Thingamajigger yet.

How did I do this and keep it under 5 ounces?

Cut the block in half, used 1/4 inch plywood to build sides and connect two halves like a clamshell.  Height was adjusted to be under 3 inch rule by sanding the mating surfaces of the two halves. I then dremeled out the 'pop top' and the bottom chassis until I got the results I wanted. I had a small piece of the bottom block protruding past the rear bumper - to mimic the cargo carrier I frequently use - but that got cut off when I needed to reduce weight. Start weight prior to Dremel and the fat lady reduction plan was around 6.7 ounces.  Removal of two ounces by Dremel was a pain in the butt.

Once that was finalized, it was glued together and the rest of the detail bodywork began.  

I am still adding details like the awning tube seen here.  I have a small antenna and the hookups for the camper elec and water that I made from some lexan pieces.  Thought about gluing one open, but since I have already dropped this and chipped paint, I would do it again and break the utility box anyway.

The wheels are also painted like the AMG wheels I have on the van, they will not go on until last day.  Everything else must be completed first. 

Going to do some paint touch ups. 

Update - 12 Jan 14

Finished much of the Thingamajigger copy, and my son was only somewhat impressed. Was not as excited as I had hoped.  So moved on to plan B.





It's just placed together haphazardly until I correct the finish and the build itself, but what kid doesn't like a obnoxiously large motor and a ridiculous wing?  Throw them with a rockin Doppelkabine drag body and voila!

Think I will paint it black (maybe matte black) with a red rim and white walls. 

 
UPDATE: 10 March - little further along. Windows have been made from tinting.  Lightweight, glossy and easy to apply.  hub caps will attach to the axles.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment