06 December 2012

Westies at Watkins

If you are in the range of a Vanagon trip to Watkins Glen, I recommend it.

I had no idea what to expect, and as per usual this summer, it was due to rain all weekend so the wife stayed home.  Was just the boy and I getting ready to have some fun.  Watkins Glen NY is the home of the famous racetrack, but lesser known (at least to me) was the Gorge. 

The event is put together by the folks at the Empire VW camping club, as an event for LiMBO.  It was held at the Watkins Glen State Park the weekend of September 21st.

The state park is well kept, spots are far enough apart and the place was packed despite the rain.

Potluck dinner one night.  Anticipating the cold September rain, I brought a couple gallons of New England style clam chowder.

Was gone in minutes!

Left only with the nasty pot to clean up, and barely a bowl for my son.






The highlight for my son was the VW's racing around the track.  Honestly, it was quite the scene. 

Much fun ad by all.








For $25 you got three laps.  Sure there was a pace car, but YOUR IN A VW BUS!  You are not going to be knocking on triple digits, and if you are, there is an 84 diesel with 49hp at the next corner that will get in your way.


After the second lap, they stop at the finish line for pictures.




High quality (not) video taken with my iPad duct taped to my dashboard can be found here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7TmGEqAkLw

My pedal rivets busted apart on lap three. Quick repair on side of the track and we finished with grins on our faces.




3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Great Blog. I was wondering if you would be interested in selling your old mercedes wheels?

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am keeping them, as I plan on using them again.

      LP

      Delete
  2. Hi..hey that's me in the white westy with drivers door open. great time great pictures

    ReplyDelete