12 June 2013

Curtain valance

Yes, we have curtains in these rigs.  Otherwise I probably would note concern myself with the thought.

In my earlier (1984) van, I have a valance above the passenger rear curtain rod.  (I grabbed this picture off the net as I had not taken one.)


For many Vanagon owners who have these, they are a sore spot in our asses as they are deteriorating rapidly.  Mine was cracking at every mount hole and if you touched it the wrong way, some would literally crumble off in your fingers.  Throw in a rambunctious 6 year old, and its a recipe for disaster.

So why not just take it off?  Many have, but I like the look of the stock accoutrements so I had to come up with another plan.  

Enter the Vocational school.  

I know I have mentioned this in the blog before, but if you have time the vocational schools of America are great resources for basic things like this valance.

I brought mine in, asked for two n aluminum and VOILA! A week later they are ready.


I will paint mine the body color, or maybe cover with the left over headliner material?  I haven't gotten that far yet. 

I had two made, figuring I can sell one for what I paid for both.  Vocational schools cannot legally charge for labor, so the cost of a couple small pieces of aluminum was less than an 8 pack of Guinness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment