16 April 2011

Rear floor and amplifier installation



I had previously mentioned finishing the passenger area soundproofing, so with a little ambition and a great helper, we got to finishing the floor. 

First, to be consistent and have a better end result, I needed to finish carpeting the pedestal.  Since I first wanted to open up the pedestal for an audio amp, I broke out the sawsall and went to town. 

 Prepped the area and covered the remainder with sound deadener.  I also covered the second battery area although I will probably need to install some sort of rubber barrier when I finally decide what battery setup I want to go with. 

The amp is here for a test fit and to determine how I wanted to mount it.  Originally, I thought I would drill 4 holes in the pedestal so that I could get a screw gun with extension in there and just screw it down to the floor. 


I decided to go in another direction.  I cut a piece of plywood into a 12x15 rectangle, mounted the amp to the board with some 10-32 screws, some fender washers, a pair of rubber washers per corner and appropriate lock nuts. The board slides in nicely and can be slid out when I need to work on the amp for adjusting, changing speakers or whatever.  The question now is how do I secure the board in there without much space?  Leaving it alone will allow for sliding around, even though the movement will be slight.  Even slight movement has potential for cutting a wire, or touching something it shouldn't.

Decided to go a little ghetto and use Velcro.  A strip of it on each end of the board will keep it in place until I can devise a better scenario.  I do not have much room / clearance to get in there, so any answer will need to be very thin.  Once in the pedestal, the amplifier has a nice amount of space all around it for airflow.  And, as a bonus I have some room on the board to mount other stuff if needed.





So after getting the carpet on the drivers pedestal, I re-installed the wood floor that I had previously cut, and placed in there to see if I liked it.  It went back in as smoothly as it came out.  This time I used a little silicone to secure without having to worry if I needed to do a repair. I think it looks pretty slick with the new carpets. The grey mat is some of that interlocking foam I got at Lowes.  Two panels, with end pieces fits perfectly between bed base and front seat pedestals.  A little trim at the sliding door area, a couple small cut outs at the cabinet base is all that's needed .  Now its childproof!

Still want to get out sandblaster and clean up the sill at the sliding door.  Getting cool out, think rain is due today so it will have to wait.




No comments:

Post a Comment